About Dadasaheb Phalke
The Highlights of Dadasaheb Phalke's Life:
1. Name: Dhundiraj Govind Phalke.
2. Born: 30 April 1870 in Trimbakeshwar near Nashik into a Marathi-Speaking Chitpavan Brahmin Family.
3. Dadasaheb Phalke's Real Surname was "Bhat".
4. He had an Inclination for Fine Arts since His Childhood.
5. He had Completed His High School Education in Mumbai, Fine Arts Education in Sir J. J. School of Art and Advanced Fine Arts Training in Kalabhavan, Baroda.
6. He had Learned and Mastered Various Types of Arts such as Drawing, Painting, Model Making, Dramatics, Photography and Printing.
7. He had also Learned and Mastered the Art of Magic from the American Magician Carl Hertz.
8. He did Freelance Photography and also had a Photo Studio in Godhra.
9. He was in the Government Service for about 4 years where he worked as a Photographer in the Archeological Department.
10. He had a Printing Press. Only The Times of India could Match His Printing Quality at that time.
11. He got Inspired after Watching "The Life of Christ" Movie in Girgaon, Mumbai on 15 April 1911 and Decided to Show the Indian Culture on the Silver Screen in India.
12. He had the Goal of Turning the Business of Cinema into a Big Source of Employment for Indians.
13. He Produced the First Indian Feature Film "Raja Harishchandra" and Released it on 3 May 1913.
14. He Produced the First Blockbuster Movie of India "Lanka Dahan" in 1917.
15. He Introduced the Concept of Double Role in the History of Indian Cinema for the First Time in the Movie "Lanka Dahan".
16. He made over 75 Films in His Career, which included Only One Talkie "Gangavataran" (1937).
17. He was a Perfectionist, Punctual, Disciplined, Caring, Loving, and Kind-Hearted Person and He Never Discriminated People on the basis of Region, Religion and Caste.
18. He Always Highlighted the Importance of the Role of His Wife "Saraswatibai Phalke" in His Success.
19. He had the Dream of Producing Animation Movies in 1944.
20. Died: 16 February 1944 in Nashik.
Dadasaheb Phalke's Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadasaheb_Phalke
Dadasaheb Phalke's Selected Filmography:
1. Raja Harishchandra (1913)
2. Mohini Bhasmasur (1913)
3. Satyavan Savitri (1914)
4. Lanka Dahan (1917)
5. Shri Krishna Janma (1918)
6. Kaliya Mardan (1919)
7. Buddhadev (1923)
8. Setu Bandhan (1932)
9. Gangavataran (1937)
Dadasaheb Phalke's IMDB Page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0679610/